Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Performing Major Edits

Over the last few weeks, I've been editing my forthcoming romance manuscript for Crimson Romance.

It has been a challenging experience.

I've edited several short stories for publication in the recent past, namely my erotic romances for Total-E-Bound: Captive Angel and Country Hearts.

Perhaps because they were for far shorter works, those edits were relatively easy.  Yes, I had to change fairly major aspects of the pieces, such as tweaking the death of a character or changing a sex scene, but these were discrete scenes that required specific thought, not a major overhaul.

These latest edits were major overhauls.  I was tasked with revisiting the pasts of the characters, questioning the heroine's characterization, and changing an overly sweet ending.  I struggled with the edits for the entire two weeks I had to rework the manuscript.

Eventually, I got the edits done -- early too! -- but it was pretty much the only focus of my life during that time.  I didn't work.  I didn't write.  I barely spoke to my family.  It felt like all I did for two weeks was think about this book and make changes to it.

From out of my experience, I have put together a few tips to help anyone who might be facing their first novel length editing process, which I will be posting shortly.  The key, I think, is patience and planning.  Procrastination in editing is definitely your worst enemy.  This time, I dove right in and I think I did a fairly good job.  But we'll see when I get my next round of edits back.

Image: FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment