Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Slow Hand,or Enjoying the Finish

I've written before about creating sexual tension in romance writing and the need to draw out the climax of a story (or sex scene).

Strangely enough, I do the same thing in my writing process.

Right now, for instance, when I could be sprinting to the finish line of a complete first draft of my current manuscript, I'm drawing out the writing process by taking frequent breaks, even not writing for a day or two, or intermittently working on other pieces.

What is wrong with me?

Well, for one thing, I enjoy the feeling of completing a manuscript and, subconsciously try to make the feeling last by delaying the moment when I type in "The End" and put the story to rest for a while before I come back to edit it.

So, the question is, is that really wrong?

I don't think so.

I've come to accept that I enjoy the process almost as much as the reaching the goal (and sometimes more).  Nearing the end of a manuscript draft is a pleasure that lasts for a long while, however completing the draft is a finite moment.  Don't get me wrong, I want to reach that finite moment...and soon.  But in the meantime, I'm enjoying the slow burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment