Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Blogging the Easy Way

Ha. That title must have caught you, didn't it?

I am here to tell you that there is no easy way to blog. Specifically, there is no easy way to blog well.

For one thing, you can't get around the writing. Writing a lot is not writing well. Indeed, the opposite is quite often true.  Everyone has heard the quote where the harried writer, alternatively believed to be Twain or Voltaire, states that he didn't have time to write a short letter so he wrote a long one instead.  The same axiom applies to blog posts.  A long post is often the sign of shoddy research or editing--not knowing (or having the time to determine) what is important, you include every fact or tip that could possibly be important.  Result: a long blog post and an increased chance that no one will read it to the end.  Or, worse yet, you will have lost your message in the tedious confusion of your writing.

That said, I have recently learned of my nomination, by the wonderful Kate Kyle, for a blogging award.  Wow!  I hardly thought folks were reading, much less enjoying, my blog so well.

I am flattered and amazed at the recognition that has come from my little blog that could.  It has fulfilled its original function of reaching out to fellow readers and writers (especially in the romance genre) and it has made me feel much more a part of the larger virtual community of writers, which I now realize is enormous.

Yes, there is no easy way to blog.  You must steal time from the rest of your life, and your writing, to research, write and edit your posts.  If, like me, you started out with the aim of posting every week, this can be an incredible challenge.  But, in the end, I hope you find that your blogging is worth every minute.  Like I just did.

No comments:

Post a Comment